Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mama

Mama

She and her baby…
Her new world…
No one else had a place in that small beautiful serene world. It was a world of innocence and love, unlike our world which is full of violence and hatred, where love ceases to exist.

From the day she was back in office, I have been hearing the same stories, how her baby smiles, how he looks at her, how he recognizes her, how he cries when she leaves him while coming to office.

Even though I was busy, I used to find time to listen to her stories. I used to see tears sparkling in her eyes when she tells me how much she misses her baby.

I see her waiting for the clock to strike 5…
To run, to see, to hug her little baby…
To tell him how much she missed him, how much she loves him…

“George, morning when I start from home, I carry my baby till the gate. When I give him to my mother in law, I don’t know why, but I daily cry.
I turn back till I reach the end of the road. When I turn back from a distance, I feel like baby calling me and saying
“Mama, don’t leave me here, I love u…
Ill miss u, you are my world, how can u leave me here n go…
Few months back, I used to come with u.
U never left me alone. Mama, please take me with u”,
Saying that she started crying.

“The baby wouldn’t have said he wants to come to office if he had done some coding or testing” I thought.
Am always like this, musing about something funny in such sentimental situations.

Next day she came to me and told “George, you know what happened yesterday. A big mosquito bit my baby on his cheek. Till yesterday, I didn’t have anything against mosquitoes. It’s just a living creature that sucks blood for food. But now I hate them more than anything. The day it bit my baby, I swore vengeance on all mosquitoes no matter they suck blood or not (she is aware, male mosquitoes don’t suck blood). My first mission is to kill all mosquitoes in my house”.

Initially, I thought she was joking.
I said “Mission Impossible 4” and laughed hysterically.

She stared at me angrily.

“Ho my god, she’s serious” I mused.
“Are you insane?” I asked.

She smiled “You won’t understand George”.

“Only a mother can care like this.
This is the real, unconditional love that comes straight from heart.
Even if the whole world goes against you, your mother will be there with u, always”.
I thought.

When I was a kid, I remember waiting for my mother to come back from office. I used to run to the bus stop to receive her. When I see her bus coming, I used to dance with joy. She’ll always have a sheaf of papers in one hand and some unniappam(a sweet made in kerala) on the other which she never forgets to buy coz she knows how much I love unniappam. When she gets down the bus, ill run to hug her and say
“I love u mama, you are the best”.
Then she’ll ask me what all I studied today, what all I did in school etc.

I was an assiduous student. Mama was proud of me. My teachers used to tell how lucky you are to get such a son. Hearing that, I used to see her flying with pride.
She’ll kiss me and say
“My son is the best”.
Ill hug her tightly and say
“My mama is the best”.

When I grew up, I became very serious at home though I was just the opposite in college. I no longer went to the bus stop to receive her. I was busy with my friends; I was enjoying my new freedom. But she was everything to me and will always be so.

Even now, when I go home for vacation, I don’t talk much.
I love her more than anyone, but I rarely show.

When ill be packing my bags to go back, ill be almost in tears.
When my mama cries when I say “bye”, I just smile, not showing my emotions, my love for her, hiding my tears.
I want to hug her and say
“I Love you mama, you’re the best”, as I used to say when I was a kid. But I don’t.

I wonder why I don’t show my love for her. If I didn’t show it to her, to whom will I show?
But I am sure she knows how much I love her, after all she’s my mama.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker